Saturday, February 18, 2006

Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbour's Raised Bed...

Since dipping a toe (or a hoe) in the world of allotment blogging...err like yesterday,… I can't help noticing how many people are sporting impressively neat and tidy raised beds on their ground. It's enough to make one feel strangely inadequate. My plot is 32'x 90'..or about 9½ rods in old money. It’s true I only currently have about two thirds down to cultivation, as I just inherited an extra half from a friend who “bowed out gracefully” after a couple of years tenure, and so am therefore playing catch-up... (I’m kidding myself the other third is really a “lawn” whereupon I will eventually sit, sipping vodka & tonic and reflecting upon my self sown glory.)... Even so, the thought of dividing and raising the growing area seems FAR too much like hard work – So I guess I shall remain a flatlander, and …(look away now if easily shocked)..walk upon my soil with a heavy farmer-like tread.

Call me a luddite, but I know what I like.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I know what you mean about the posh neat raised beds - Mike's plot is out of this world.
Mine is in a field it in the countryside and is 330ft long and 33 ft wide.

Almost all the men have tractors and plough theirs up each year - and also have every mechanical machine known to man so not a lot of hand weeding - if any goes on - let along flowers (well wash my mouth with soap!)

And no water, allotment society etc etc

But I love it!

10:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home