Saturday, September 16, 2006

Un-Bifurcated Carrots......

The runner beans are over now, so whilst the red cabbage are still maturing (bloody slowly!) and the raspberries continue to trickle along, this is pretty much all is I have to harvest now.

I've just tested a spring onion and "crikey!" is definitely the verdict....they are very strong. Much more so that the previous sowing from the same packet earlier in the year. I guess this is because they have been a lot longer growing, and got off to a slow start in all that hot weather. The flavour seems to have "matured" in some way.

The carrots look good, and came out of the raised bed "salad bar" very clean and uniform. This is certainly the best result I've had with them, as I could never get them to grow at all in the bare soil, right next door.

They grew so straight in this manner that I'm at last prepared to say
"bye-bye bifurcation"........ (Sorry!)

6 Comments:

Blogger Rebsie Fairholm said...

Hey, I'm jealous! Yours didn't come out as knobbly stumps like mine did. Most of mine weren't even long enough to bifurcate.

I've never had much success with carrots. Maybe I should try them in a raised bed ... though I'll have to build one first.

5:41 pm  
Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

So do the bean stop producing at some point or get to where you don't like to eat them? I find they reach a tough stage quite quickly lately. I did notice only a few flowers yesterday -so no more flowers, no more baby beans I guess-answered my own question, huh. One type of bean is getting yellow leaves too, so I guess that is close to the end for it.

Nice carrots & onions & other pics around the plot.

12:06 am  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Hi PG,

You are quite right on all counts.
Beans are still coming but there's little blossom left now, and they are no longerd tender. They seem to set big tough beans straight away.

The other factor is that by now I am about sick of them for now...and already have half a freezer full.

9:41 am  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Rebsie - Try sowing some carrots now in a bucket of 50/50 compost and soil (or sand). In a sunny spot you should have some delicious baby carrots for Xmas.
I did this last year,(although not for Xmas as I abhor the whole concept) but like a fool alas, I forgot to punch drainage holes in the bucket, so they got waterlogged and rotted....Doh!

9:45 am  
Blogger Rebsie Fairholm said...

Thanks for that, I'll try it!

They will come in handy at Christmas because they'll give me an excuse to go outside and escape the festivities.

10:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty carrots! So full of healthy stuff for us.

5:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home