Thursday, August 10, 2006

Radio Ga Ga....

So one minute you're fossicking around among the runner beans, muttering to yourself about black fly; and the next, you're broadcasting to the masses!

Or so it seems.

"National Allotment Week" is coming up, (Well we all knew that… didn't we?) and my local radio station - BBC Radio Kent - are dedicating their Sunday morning gardening slot to "Talking Allotments".

Somebody at the Beeb has apparently been making good use of the licence fee by reading this humble DFV blog.

A nudge and a wink later, and Steve, the show’s Producer, has been in touch inviting me to drop in to the studio and take part; along with proper journalists, and real live published authors….Little old me.… On the wireless!

So if you are in the Radio Kent catchment area, you should be able to hear me making a spectacle of myself this Sunday sometime between 10am – 11 am. (The show is actually on from 8am -11am though, as I’m sure Steve would like you to know.)

I’m not sure what the format is yet, as I’m awaiting my final mission briefing tomorrow.

Right now, I’m just working on holding a public conversation without swearing......

….So bother those black fly!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was invited onto Radio Geneva here in Switzerland to talk about Composting and Vermicomposting. Enjoy the experience, you'll still be talking about it long after all the other listeners and it will give you some Street Cred down at the pub and something to talk about for years to come. Tips be natural. I was very nervous.

6:46 am  
Blogger Rebsie Fairholm said...

Good for you! I hope it goes well.

I've done a couple of live radio interviews about my music and although it's always terrifying beforehand, a strange calmness comes over you as soon as you go on air and you actually find you're enjoying yourself.

Like you, I was afraid I would splurge out expletives because I tend to swear more when I'm nervous. But it didn't happen, fortunately.

So I'll second Karen's tip. Just be yourself and it'll be fuggin' great.

11:33 am  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Thanks guys - Your sage advice is duly noted. Be natural it is....Oh dear, I forsee problems with that! Ah well, I expect it will be both fine and fun.

1:29 pm  
Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

So did you record it for those of us outside the broadcast area and too many time zones away to try to find it on an internet broadcast? I'm sure you & your listeners enjoyed it.

4:44 pm  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

T'aint happened yet.

Sunday is still tomorrow here.


If they can give me a recording I'll try and blog it....

Assuming I don't make a complete Ass of myself that is

6:06 pm  
Blogger Rebsie Fairholm said...

Dang, I only caught the last bit (by the time I'd worked out how to get Radio Kent on internet streaming, since I'm outside the catchment area) ... but it sounded good to me!

Hope you had a great time and they ask you back for more! :)

9:57 am  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Thanks Rebsie - actually it was great. A very interesting and fun expereince. Will post a pic and some blog about it later today.

10:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home