Sunday, July 16, 2006

Hotter & hotter........

A couple of absolutely blistering days here this weekend. I managed some allotmenteering on Saturday morning, and some golf on Sunday, which was without doubt the hottest round I've ever played. (Meteorologically speaking that is... golfistically speaking it was merely tepid.)

Just a few pictures to update on things I haven't photographed recently. I was going to shoot another short movie clip, but after all the stills I took (to whittle down to this lot) there wasn't enough space on the card, so that will have to wait.

The pumpkin patch has been completely overrun by Dill's Atlantic Giants, so the other pumpkins and the courgettes are fighting for elbow room at the moment. I'm trying to keep to just two fruits per plant for now, and then further reduce to one each later on. It's a constant battle to keep cutting off new ones though, and to prune the plants back at the borders with the edging shears!





The runner beans, and climbing french beans are doing really well, the sweet corn is just about to start setting cobs, while the onions & shallots are drying off nicely in the sun. The latter have done very well, and I have a scarily large net full of them, even after giving quite a lot away. I think the weather has just really suited them this year.



Have a look at these two rows of cabbages.... Apart from the fact that one is a red variety and the other a green, according to the packets they should be about the same tight, pointed size and shape. The green Hispi are behaving admirably, but the red Kalibos are growing big and open, with no sign of any hearts forming. Why this should be when they have been treated identically I don't know.... Nature can be weird sometimes.... And annoying.



Lastly the sunflowers. About two months behind everyone else's due to being a 2nd try, they are now really starting to get going. None of them should be much more than 5ft tall in the end, so I think they will catch up quite quickly. Flowering supposedly lasts till the first frosts, so there is plenty of time.

Apparently I have to go out and do pub quiz this evening....assuming I didn't entirely fry my brains round the golf course that is.... A good excuse for a bit of dampening down methinks!

3 Comments:

Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Wow! Everything looks fantastic! My new pumpkin & sunflower patch have plenty of room, but hopefully they'll get busy growing. My seeded sf may be smaller than yours still, but the volunteers are off & blooming. We're going into dry weather earlier than usual, but the plants do like the sunny warm days. I haven't decided if I want to limit the number of pumpkins to get size yet or not. May have promised too many away! Enjoy the harvests.

4:41 am  
Blogger McDura said...

Whats wrong for you here in Australia, north of Mildura it is normal for low 50C in summer with an average of mid to high 40C.

I supose in all fainess you guys arnt use to these tempratures.

This is all with normal 19 inch rain fall, but over the last 5 years 9 inchs a year.

12:28 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gteenmantle - it looks really good, and you should be very proud of yourself.

Having water on your site, is wonderful isn't it. I so envy you that.

What a fantastic first year for you. And don't go giving all those shallots away. They last longer than the onions is storage and it is amazing how many you will use over the winter

Enjoy your harvest.

10:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home