Monday, August 07, 2006

Duffer's Guide to Onion Strings...



Here is my first attempt at stringing onions......It's not perfect by any means, but I'm reasonably happy with it.

In the end I did not do it by the proper stem plaiting method, but just sort of improvised on a suggestion from Ernie on the plot above me...That is to say I cheated, and tied them all together one at a time, with string.

If I can manage it, it must be pretty idiot proof, so here's what you do....







Step 1.Cut the stems off the onions leaving a stalk about 4-5 inches long.

Step 2. Take a big one, and tie it firmly to the end of a long piece of strong string, anyhow you like.

Step 3. Now make the simplest of all knots right above this, by making a loop, and passing the
other free end of the string through it.

Step 4. Stick the neck of the 2nd onion through the noose, and pull it down tight to the top of
the 1st one.

Step 5. Repeat ad infinitum, turning succesive onions so they hang down in the most appropriate gaps, thus making the job look good from all sides.


The trick is to make sure that you get all your knots pulled down as close to the previous ones as possible. If you leave even ½ an inch of bare string between them, the final result will look loose and gappy.

In fact, if you can make the loop of each new knot also take in the remaining neck of the previous onion, as well as the one you're now adding, it seems to all fit together a bit more solidly.

When you need to use an onion, start at the top of the string, and just twist one off.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Everyone is stringing - well done - now that you have the knack I have a barrow load to do if you fancy it.

6:57 pm  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Ever your servant Ma'am!... You ship'em, I'll string'em!

10:42 pm  
Blogger Rebsie Fairholm said...

Ooooh, I always wanted to know how to do that!

Thank you.

11:22 am  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Hi Rebsie...
I have to reiterate that this is a very homespun duffers version, though it does work.

For an altogether more authentic method, check out Matron's post on
"Down on the Allotment" in my links.

1:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home