Saturday, July 29, 2006

As soon as your back is turned......


I've been away for a week loafing, golfing, and touring about Northamptonshire.

I went down to the plot for the first time today since I got back, tidied up a bit, and did some watering. A lot of runner beans and climbing french beans are now destined for the freezer. This is still after "Jim the Sweetpea Baron" next door, -who has kindly been watering for me - has had his share.

Last week the two Dills pumpkins were about the size of a large cereal bowl. Now, five days later, they are bigger than a medicine ball. I had forgotten the camera of course, so snapped this one on my phone, including one of my mitts in it for a size reference.

It's going to be a big old bugger I reckon......(I have sausage fingers if it helps to gauge the scale)

The heatwave seems to have broken here today, so pray God we get some rain tonight.

P.S. The reluctant sweetcorn belonging to "The New Girl", that Dennis and I previously pontificated about, seems to now be flowering OK....That is, as far as I can tell from sea level, as it's about 10ft high and rising....What has she done to it?

4 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

That's a good pumpkin!

Corn really likes sunshine and will grow seemingly overnight. Ours has rebounded magnificently in all this lovely warm weather.

3:37 am  
Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Ohhh, I think I might have pumpkins about Christmas! My Dills finally vining, but now need flowers. I do have some cute little pumpkins on the volunteer - don't know what they'll become but they are cute now. The beans have passed up the top of the 11 foot structure. Enjoyed your last posting tour also.

6:12 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you have had a nice holiday - and the plot news is really grand

8:27 pm  
Blogger mrsnesbitt said...

Hi Greenmantle, just logged your blog!

Will have a good read tomorrow as off to bed now, up early to take SIL to manchester airport!

Dxx

10:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home