Sunday, May 23, 2010

Wig Wam Bam....

.....But not a facial star or a flared lurex jumpsuit in sight.

Just beans... And buckets with holes in them.

I've sown my usual reliable Red Flame variety in the polytunnel, but being an impatient sort of soul, I bought a few plants at the local garden centre to be getting on with. (One man's impatience is another man's sequential sowing!) They are a mystery variety, being labelled "Streamline" on the pots, and "Enorma" on the plant labels.....Ho hum.




Given the cost of the manure & compost I bought from the site shop, the canes, and the plants themselves, these are going to be pampered and very expensive runners, but that's starting from scratch for you.

The soil needed improving though, and the buried bucket system is a tried and tested way of delivering water to the roots; so I'm confident that despite the dry ground they will do well.

And that I suppose is main the difference between me and The Sweet (though there are plenty I assure you.)

I have the rocks you see.... but not the glam.

4 Comments:

Blogger BilboWaggins said...

That all looks very smart :} Have you considered a ball of chicken wire or other means of "escape" in your sunken buckets so that anything which falls in can get out? Don't know if you have hedgehogs on your plot.

6:56 am  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

That's a fair point BW. It matters not whether they are local "furze pigs" really, as they can range up to a mile a night. Better rig something up I suppose.

5:56 pm  
Blogger BilboWaggins said...

You're welcome. I am in the process of assembling pea supports (yes I know I am late) and have copied your buried buckets (imitation = sincerest flattery and all that!)

I have a ball of chicken wire in mine, should stop the hedge-pogs falling in and enable mice and frogs to crawl out.

6:49 pm  
Blogger Frankie said...

Good slug catchers!

9:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home