Sunday, March 26, 2006

Sowing some seeds...........

The heavy rain here on Saturday has really helped the topsoil, and despite a very fine, misty drizzle this afternoon it was light and moist, and perfect for sowing seed. I put in a row of Isikuro spring onions, some Cherry Belle radishes, Little Gem lettuces , and Chantenay carrots.

I also prepared a small seed bed, where I intend to grow my brassicas this year, and sowed some red cabbage called Kalibos, as well as a pointed head variety I had great success with last year called Hispi. I’ve found that cabbage seedlings sown in the soil they are eventually going to grow in, seem to do a lot better when transplanted out than ones sown in trays of compost. I suppose it’s just less of shock, and they are also probably hardier from having been outside all the time.

The onions are starting to show through now, although the shallots are lagging behind. Also sprouting encouraging, if very tiny shoots, which I noticed for the first time today are the raspberry canes I planted in early November. I have ten canes each of two autumn fruiting varieties, Galante, and Allgold. Both come from Ken Muir, who is a highly recommend supplier of all things fruitful. I’ve recently seen that Matt of Matt’s Allotment is also growing Galante for the first time this year, so I guess there is a bit of competition to keep up with!

7 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

Hi, I love the idea of the links to the seed catalogue - I think I'll try that on my blog.

(do you deliberately have no left margin?)

3:01 pm  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Hi Judith,

Yes, I eschew a left margin, much in the same way as nature abhors a vacuum.

Actually, I couldn't figure out how to add sidebars on the left ( still not sure it's possible) so I tinkered with the "width" values on my template to fill up the annoying space.

PS. I also love quizzes, cricket and conservation (spooky!)..but I despise mathematics... so sadly we can never have an affair.

Just so you know.

Greenmantle

3:32 pm  
Blogger She Who Digs said...

Hi, thanks for leaving a message on my new blog. Love your 'Cool-Crow' with his Ray-Bans! I will list your blog on my front page- once I've figured out how to do it.
Should get my plot papers though today and I can get started on Saturday. Sarah

12:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I respect your views on the importance of moisture before spreading your seed. Personally i like to get my tool in a couple of inches and move it around before dropping the seed in. I then withdraw and the hole fills in protecting the seed. Last year my cucumbers were particularly hard and I think that was to do with the lovely young lassie on the plot next door. I think her excessive use of fertilisation is to blame. Do your favour protection? Latex perhaps? I tried leather but the gloves soon become excessively soiled.
Incidently i am heavily into bondage techniques in runner bean cultivation. Being tied firmly to a stiff pole really does bring its own rewards and of course also protects from wind.

7:52 pm  
Blogger Frankie said...

Can't seem to leave a comment today but I want to know if that huge shed in the background is yours?

2:58 pm  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Dear Allotment 21,

No, said shed t'aint mine. T'is actually a rather modest sized greenhouse on the plot next door.
(The camera always lies) It belongs to a bloke called Keith, whom I never seem to see. It is a valuable communal asset nonetheless, as when it really p***es down I hide in there, and sit it out on one of Mysterious Keith's folding chairs.

Sorry about the posting hiatus by the way. I had a knee jerk reaction to "Jim Pansy" and thought I was being spammed. Having re-read the shocking level of punnery, and doubleness of the entendres however, I now detect the "Hand of Spouse" at work. Or similar underemployed entity..

11:52 pm  
Blogger Frankie said...

Have only just read the Pansy comment, definitely not Spouse - his level of gardening knowledge means that he wouldn't know that runner beans grow up poles.

Suggest your blog has been discovered by mad, bloodthirsty, psycho stalker (no pun intended) with a veg perversion... Perhaps it is the elusive Keith watching you from his big shed?

6:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home