Sunday, April 02, 2006

April Arrives, but no tomfoolery..........

A typical April morning of sunshine & showers. After a short drenching on the way to the site, the rain held off long enough to get quite a bit done.

First job was to cultivate and rake over a largish patch of ground that I am not planning to grow any actual veg on this year, and broadcast sow it with one of those "oh-so-trendy" green manure crops. I chose Red Clover from The Organic Gardening Catalogue as it can be mowed over a few times to prevent it growing to seed, and to make great mulch or compost material, before being dug in at the end of summer. Then I’ll probably sow some Hungarian Rye Grass to over winter on it, before digging it in again in the spring. At least this should look reasonable, keep the weeds down, and keep the “Tidy Plot Police" happy without me having to do too much.

After this I forked over last year's potato patch at the bottom of the plot, cultivated it, and raked it down to a reasonable tilth fine enough to sow some seeds. Now I don’t normally go much on growing flowers.... It smacks too much off “girlie gardening” for me, but I wanted to fill this bed up and block out the rubbish dump at the bottom, so I have chucked in a long row of various types of sunflower. Prejudices aside, I have to admit that if it works well, a 5ft high x 30ft long wall of them should look quite spectacular.





Raspberry Wars
In terms of the numbers of shoots per each 10 canes, the Galante are lagging behind the Allgold at the moment. Seems they will have different coloured foliage as well as fruits.... The waiting is just bloody tedious!

Galante ........................................ Allgold............................

7 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

I think you can always justify 'girlie' plants like sunflowers, because they attract birds and beneficial insects, and the birds also eat some of the nasty insects too!

I grow them because they are pretty!

9:41 am  
Blogger She Who Digs said...

Woo-hoo I’ve discovered I’ve got raspberries too! On my first day (yesterday) I spent my first hour on my new plot uncovering the raspberries from underneath the couch, dandelion and creeping buttercup. Lots broke off in my hands, but there were a few new green shoots poking though, which was heartening to know they haven’t been choked. Should have remembered the camera, but in an hour all I cleared was about 1.5m squared. (The whole plot is 117m sq, so at the rate it will take me 78 hours- Gulp!) Sarah

5:50 pm  
Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Sunflowers surely are the least 'girlie' in the flower world. Very function, no frills, and the height (all while looking great too). You'll be proud of them. Check out the well eaten one I posted several days ago - what's girlie about that?

4:59 am  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Hi Petunia's Gardener

I have already checked out your sunflowers the other day..very impressive they look in a big group like that.

I knew this post might get me into a little mild trouble when I wrote it!..LOL!

6:27 am  
Blogger She Who Digs said...

Thanks for the advise about the sweet peas. Would also like to take you up on finding out how to add other blogs to my front page- but I can’t even work out how to email you like you suggested- Doh! Would you be able to fill me in please?

12:38 pm  
Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

You, looking for trouble? I cannot imagine! On the SF, I will say the more room they had, the larger they grew. I planted to closely and thinned, but could have thinned more. Also tried to move some but they stayed quite small. I don't seem to follow spacing instructions very well.

5:23 am  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Yes PG, I have planted quite close together with the intention of thinning and replanting elsewhere. I'll follow your advice and be generous with the space. The packets say 12" all round - But do you think more?

Seems I am also going to have to pot up some of the thinnings and eventually transplant them in the garden at my local pub, where I have apparently been co-opted as Assistant Gardner.
Must have been my "Will work for beer" face when it was being discussed!

6:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home