Monday, April 24, 2006

Rhubarb, Rhubarb!............


Well here is the first crop of the season!

Two weeks ago it was only just bursting through, but the combination of wet weather, and the manure I piled over it last winter have made it go mad.

I have three crowns of an unknown variety, but there is enough to pull this much every week, if not twice a week. Disposal is not a problem either, as everyone in the pub seems to want some. I have had to start making a list.

Incidentally I just finished the last of the previous year's crop from the freezer this weekend. That's what I call timing, and also why rhubarb has to be in my "Top 5 Things to Grow" (or simply allow to grow) on any plot.

Makes for quite a nice photo as well......

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful rhubarb - guess that means that mine must be ready to pick too.

Can I add you to my links list.

You have a lovely site and I like the set up.

Makes mine look a bit boring - still you have to consider that I am and oldie!

Have you made Scnapps. I am going to have a go at it this year with my rhubarb. I am not sure if anyone in my family drinks it - but I thought it would be fun

9:41 am  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

By all means add me to your links - I'd be honoured.

Have never made Schnapps but am keen to know how - can you do a recipe post on your site?

9:53 am  
Blogger Emma Jane said...

Great Blog greenmantle and a very neat allotment! Rather keen on old Titchmarsh!

10:12 pm  
Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

This is quite the artistic veggie photo! Very lovely. I never answered your sunflower spacing question. Following the packet recommended spacing should be fine - around a foot. I didn't thin my enough and many were closer than that. Maybe there IS a reason for the packet instructions!

4:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home