Saturday, May 13, 2006

Getting there....

Just a bit of a general update on the sudden growth spurt at Plot 14.

This week of warm weather has finally kick started things outside, and some of the coldframe raised plants are now ready to go out as well. The overall picture is looking a lot busier and more interesting than it was when I first posted here in February.








The first row of early spuds is doing well. These are the Vale's Emeralds and were planted quite early, about 3 weeks ahead of the others. I've already earthed them up once, so am now hoping there will be no more late frosts. And the salad bar is coming along nicely as well...

















My Dill's Atlantic Giant pumpkins are now planted out on their raised humps, sitting on a bed of rotted compost, and with a tube angled underneath them. This is more for delivery of liquid fertiliser to the roots than for watering. It's a bit of an experiment but we'll see how it goes. They'll have to stay under a cloche for a couple of weeks though.

The broad beans look about halfway there height wise, and are
just starting to suffer the attentions of a few pioneering blackfly.

















Raspberry Wars

Not a great deal of progress on this front!
I think my Galante troops must be suffering from a lack of moral fibre. Either that or my expectations of
strong growth and fruits this season were all out of proportion. Maybe they'll just mainly make roots this first year.
I took a leaf from Matt's book and top dressed them liberally with Blood, Fish & Bone yesterday, and then
worked it into the surface with a rake. I only hope Matt's aren't all about three feet high and roaring away!

7 Comments:

Blogger Federico Perazzoni said...

Wow....

Fichissimo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10:41 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you planted your raspberries this year, then they are looking as they should having been cut down so low.

If the are autumn fruiting raspberries as opposed to the summer fruiting ones, then they will take off and you might be lucky and get a few raspberries on the canes. I planted autumn ones last year that looked just like yours in the photo and I got some. A few at a time at first then quite a pot full. I just kept putting them in the freezer until a I had lot!

Your allotment is really looking good and lush - well done you.

Allotment Lady

4:29 pm  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

They all registered Al, but they come to me by e-mail first to be vetted. They only show on DFV when I have approved them.(And I have bben out watching my beloved West Ham in the Cup Final.)

This comment screening rigmarole was unfortunately neccesiatated by the stupid spam I was getting hit with

I've just posted your first one.
Thanks for the support.

They are autumn fruting varieties which I planted in November. I thought I should get something at least from them this year, but currently can't see how it's going to happen.

6:13 pm  
Blogger patsy said...

you allotment looks like it is growing great guns. i have planted a few tomatoes and lettuce and onions, squash and cukes. you people in UK have revived my growing bug.

9:10 pm  
Blogger lilymarlene said...

Your plot looks how I want mine to look next year!
Well done!

9:30 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Don't be so impatient young man, your raspberries will grow very quickly and you will get a few at first then each week more and more and more. If you don't eat them whilst you are walking around your plot that is.

They taste far nicer than the summer ones too. Make sure that you keep picking them though - the more you pick the more you get.

Also next year you will get not one, but many stems from the same plant and soon you will be digging up all the extra plants that will appear and will be giving them away.

You need patience to be a gardener.

LOL

Hope this passes the vetting - so long as I don't type s**m - what about luncheon meat???

5:13 pm  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Nothing wrong with luncheon meat my friend! We grew up on that in our house.....On second thoughts then, maybe there was something wrong with it ..LOL!

7:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home